Friday, December 29, 2017

Welcoming God Into the Worship Gathering


The other day, we had a family over to our house for supper. Things were going pretty well, but it got really awkward during our meal. My wife and I actually refused to serve them because they didn’t have the common courtesy to let us know we were welcome in our own home. In fact, until they gave us permission to do work and serve them, we all just awkwardly sat there.

You are likely confused by the previous paragraph. Why in the world would we be so offended that our guests didn’t let us know we were welcome in our own home?

But you likely aren’t confused by singing worship songs or prayers to open worship services that let God know that He is welcome in the place. But that’s just as strange to me. Why in the world would we tell the One who owns the place that He’s "welcome in this place"?

I suppose I understand part of the reason why we do this. It’s part of having a humble posture toward the Lord. It’s our way of saying we don’t want to run from God and want to have a relationship with Him. I think it’s also our way of saying, along with Jesus, “Not my will but yours be done.” So, I get it. But it’s a bit awkward and probably a bit backwards theologically. Read More

No comments: