Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Tragic High School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky - UPDATED


Only few weeks ago I attended a church safety meeting in the auditorium of Marshall County High School at which this shooting occurred. I am posting a link to the NPR article which gives details of the shooting. I am also posting the CNN news report. Bailey Holt, a 15-year-old girl, and Preston Cope, a 15-year-old boy, were killed in the shooting. Bailey died at the scene; Preston, of his wounds later at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee.  At least 17 others were injured in this attack; 12 sustained gunshot wounds. The shooter, a 15-year old male student at the high school, was apprehended by the police and is faced with murder and attempted murder charges. We do not know yet what prompted him to attack his fellow students.

This is the second tragic high school shooting in the Jackson Purchase. The first occurred at Heath High School in West Paducah on December 1, 1997. 14-year-old Michael Carneal opened fire on a group of praying students, killing three and injuring five more. Marshall County High School is about 35 miles southeast of Heath High School.

I am requesting your prayers for the victims of this shooting and their families, for the students, faculty, and staff of Marshall County High School and their families,for the members of the affected communities here in westernmost Kentucky, and for the shooter and his family.

Benton, Kentucky is the home of St. Mark's Anglican Church where I am, next to our bishop, the Right Rev. William Millsaps, the closest person officially to pastor of the church, the licensed lay reader in temporary pastoral charge of the church. I have made the same request to the members of St. Mark's church family and I have notified Ms. Patricia Greer, head principal of Marshall High School, that we are praying for the students, faculty, and staff of the school and their families and offered whatever help that we might be able to provide.

I will notify readers of further developments as I learn of them.

I greatly appreciate your prayers and whatever support that you may be able to offer the school.

Robin G. Jordan

Image: Yelp.Com

2 comments:

Charles Morley said...

Prayers assured, Robin _ my own and those of my congregation at Canterbury Chapel. Please give my regards (condolences) to Bp. Milsaps.

This must be very hard for him and his people in Benton.

Charles Morley
Ephesians 5:30

Robin G. Jordan said...

Your prayers are greatly appreciated, Charles.