Saturday, July 22, 2006

The reconcilers in pursuit of the irreconcilable

http://timescolumns.typepad.com/gledhill/2006/07/the_reconcilers.html#more

[Times Online] 22 Jul 2006--No, this is not another post on the Middle East, or Africa, or Northern Ireland. The clergy at the reconciliation and peace centre at Coventry Cathedral have been turning skills honed in negotiating peace between gun-toting war lords and missile-launching terror bombers to that other intractable conflict zone shaking our world at its foundations at present - the war in the Anglican Communion. The Community of the Cross of Nails, founded by Andrew White and Justin Welby, has this week been hosting a meeting of leading Anglican primates. My source tells me that no statements will be issued, no policy decided. In fact, it has been remarkably eirenic.

Maybe this is because the attendees whose names I've been able to discover seem largely weighted to one particular side of the battle. David Moxon of New Zealand, Clive Handford of Cyprus and the Gulf, Andrew Hutchison of Canada* and, of course, Frank Griswold of the US are I believe among those attending. I've also been advised that Cape Town and Burundi might be there. There are others too, some blog readers might be better informed than me. Let me know if you know more.

No comments: