Thursday, May 17, 2007

Stop doing that which is pulling us apart - Archbishop of Canterbury appeals in interview

http://www.globalsouthanglican.org/index.php/comments/stop_doing_that_which_is_pulling_us_apart_archbishop_of_canterbury_appeals/

[Global South Anglican] 16 May 2007--Q – The next big question is on the current crisis in the Communion. I think rather than looking at it as something that splits the Communion, how can we go beyond that and see how the church here can help towards a resolution, if any?

A – Let me make respond with two comments on that. First of all, I think it’s important for the church here to continue talking to people in other parts of the world, to know what the feelings, convictions, and concerns are of the people here. And that can only happen if we go on meeting. It doesn’t mean we agree, it doesn’t mean this is where we want to be, but people have somehow to be able to grow to understand. So, I hope the church will continue to exchange and talk about these convictions.

Secondly, I think the church here certainly shows the Communion that the real focus on mission is the life blood of the church. I was able, nearly 10 years ago, to work at the last Lambeth Conference very closely with the former Archbishop Yong Ping Chung, and we together led the section on mission and evangelism. And I think I can say it was the most productive of all the sections in terms of energy and positive commitment. I think the whole Communion needs to rethink its life in terms of priority of mission and the issues that are currently dividing us. There are issues that are taking us away from the mission concern, that sometimes undermines mission. I think the church here helpfully reminds the rest of us of that priority. So I hope they will hold that up for us.

Q – So how do you see then things developing pre-Lambeth 2008 and post-Lambeth? If you can make a wish, what will that be?

A – I’m hoping and praying that we shall have no more actions that polarize the Communion between now and Lambeth 2008. This is the point I have already brought to the Canadian House of Bishops which we are trying to get across to the American House of Bishops. But also trying to say to some other provinces: Don’t step up the level of intervention in this crisis because all of that is just pulling us further and further apart. So I hope we can have a bit of moratorium on this, and in a way, a reflection on what kind of a church we want to be. Now, some parts of the Communion would be happy if we could be just a federation of loosely connected local bodies. I’m not happy with that. We could be more than that. We should be more than that. We should be living out of each other’s life and resources and vision and be more closely connected. Because I think that is what the New Testament assumes the local church should do and not live in isolation. They lived with each other, from each other’s life. So, that’s my vision. I see the next Lambeth Conference ideally as the place where Bishops can really be re-equipped for their central task of enabling mission and in every sense educating the people of God and equipping them for their outreach. That’s how I can see it.

No comments: