Saturday, May 05, 2007

Terry Mattingly: Webber knew history is the heart of evangelism

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/may/05/terry-mattingly-webber-knew-history-heart-evangeli/

[The Albuquerque Tribube] 5 May 2007--During one of his early visits to London, Billy Graham was confronted by an Anglican leader who causally dismissed the entire crusade effort.

"Young man," said the priest, "I do not approve of your style of evangelism."

"I'm sure that what I'm doing isn't perfect," replied Graham. "But I like the evangelism that I'm doing better than the evangelism that you're not doing."

Robert E. Webber knew that collision of styles inside out.

The theologian spent most of his career working with people on both sides of the cultural divide captured in that familiar anecdote about the world's most famous evangelist. It helped that Webber - who died April 27, after an eight-month struggle with cancer - had lived and worshipped in both camps.

No comments: