Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Question That Bugged Me

http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/mission/connect09/a_question_that_bugged_me/

[sydneyanglicans.net] 9 Jul 2008--A question: What activities are you involved in at the moment that really involve faith? A colleague shared with me that he had recently been challenged by this question. So was I when I heard it.

At an intellectual level, I could answer, “I just crossed the street”. Our doctrine of God’s sovereign control over all things teaches us that we rely on him for our next heartbeat.

But this question is not about things you know theologically. It is a very practical question: where in your life are you most acutely aware that God is in control and you are not? What activities are you currently involved in that require a complete, utter and (to the world looking on) ridiculous trust in God? What things are you doing that do not rely on your own strength, stamina, expertise or experience, but prayer alone? Where in your life are you stepping out in confidence that your Father in heaven will provide a firm place for your foot to rest – even though you cannot see how he will do it?

No comments: