Monday, November 03, 2008

The Nature of Anglican Evangelicalism

http://covenant-communion.com/?p=910

[Covenant] 3 Nov 2008--I started writing this as a response to the conversations going on about the Diocese of Sydney, but concluded as it grew longer that it might better be put up as a full posting. The reason I write is because I want to put on record a caveat or two so that the Anglican tradition that has shaped me might be better understood.

I have since I was a theological student and seminarian in the 1960s self-identified as an evangelical, and for a majority of my active ministry the evangelical voice has been very much a minority one in the provinces where I have served. During my ministry evangelical Anglicanism has changed enormously, and in many places it has grown, resulting in a diversity of forms and flavors developing all over the world, While being different in emphasis and temperament from one another these groups at the same time claim adherence to most of the same distinctives. I believe that those of us who are evangelicals are privileged to walk in the footsteps of individuals like Charles Simeon, William Wilberforce, Hannah Moore, Henry Martyn, Handley Moule, John Stott, Janani Luwum, Festo Kivengere, and many, many others, both male and female. Evangelicalism at its best is mission-driven, evangelistic, seeking to bring the transforming power of Christ to the world under the power of the Holy Spirit. At its worst it can be narrow-minded, legalistic, judgmental, intolerant, and not very attractive at all.

No comments: