Saturday, February 28, 2009

Understanding miracles in John

http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/mission/missionthinking/understanding_miracles_in_john/

[sydneyanglicans.net] 28 Feb 2009--I love puzzling over difficult parts of the Bible for the difficulty is in my head - not on the page and puzzling over these difficulties gives me an opportunity to change the way I think.

Some years ago a Rabbi pointed out to me that the footnotes in the Revised Standard Version of the Bible often said “Hebrew obscure”.

“The Hebrew is never obscure” he protested, “The translator may be confused, but the Hebrew is plain.”

It is easier to blame the problem of understanding on the text rather than to see the problem is in ourselves. But once you grasp this reality, difficulties become joys because they give you the opportunity to change the way you think.

No comments: