Thursday, June 06, 2013

What Makes a Missional Community Different?


As a practitioner of missional communities, I am often asked, "What is the difference between a missional community and _____ (small group, Bible study, etc.)?"

Before I dive into distinctions, let me provide the definition I use for a missional community:

A community of Christians, on mission with God, in obedience to the Holy Spirit, who demonstrate the gospel tangibly and declare the gospel creatively to a pocket of people.

Perhaps the most critical portion of the definition practically is the idea of "a pocket of people"—a missional community is intentionally focused on those who aren't believers. Missional community is intentionally focused on those outside the church.

Before I make some folks upset, it's also important for me to note that gospel-centered communities on mission come with many different names. While I think language is important, I've found there are many small groups, community groups, and Bible studies that look a lot like what I call missional communities. The distinctions I point out in this article are meant to challenge predominant methods of practicing community in many American evangelical churches. Read more

No comments: