Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Relational Pastor: Building Bridges, Not Barriers to the Unchurched


Here are some practical things you can do in your community to influence people toward that critical God decision.

To be completely honest, I am not crazy about the word “evangelist.” I know it is a Bible term, but in our culture many people think of evangelists as pushy preachers who try to force something on someone.

I prefer the idea of being a bridge builder. Think about what a bridge accomplishes. It allows us to go over water, canyons, and potentially dangerous terrain on a smooth surface.

I have owned several horses over the years, including a mare I trained named Colorado. She was strong and highly spirited. But she slowly learned to trust me as I fed her, combed her, walked all around her, led her with a rope, and helped her get comfortable wearing a saddle and bridle. Then came the bridge. We happened upon it on one of our first mountain rides. It was an old, wooden bridge that made a big, hollow, clunking sound when her hooves hit it. She backed away quickly and did not want to touch that bridge again. I decided to walk her across by leading her with a rope. As we made our way along, one tentative step at a time, she seemed to warm to the idea that the bridge would not fail her — and neither would I. At last, we made it to the other side.

People who have little or no faith are often afraid of the bridge that leads to God. It feels like a blind leap and seems so foreign to those who have not grown up around it. Most of these people are not God-haters; they are simply uncertain about the bridge. Perhaps they have heard negative things about it. Maybe they have known bridge-crossers who failed to make the journey seem attractive. Sadly, the church world sometimes gets in the way of people coming to faith. We must patiently and compassionately allow people to approach the bridge and ask any questions they may have.

At the church I lead, I often say something like this: “If you have come today without a personal relationship with God, we really welcome you. This is a great place to ask questions about your journey with God. It’s OK if you feel uncertain or need to think through your decisions.”

This allows people to be in the room and watch people of faith. They learn to trust, respect, and sense the presence of God. If they have come to the bridge to test it, I want to welcome them. If they are only three or four feet onto the bridge, at least they are on their way. That is a good thing.

How many connections or conversations does it take for someone to come to faith? It could be 10, 28, or 233. It is a joy to lead someone to Christ, but we will not always be that person. God may use you as number eight or 16 to help someone on their journey. Ask God to make you a part of the process, regardless of what stage it is. God uses each of us in different ways. I am hesitant to say of new converts, “I led them to the Lord.” After all, it is the Spirit who brings people to salvation. We simply facilitate conversations with them along the way.

When I sense the Spirit drawing someone to Christ, I start with questions rather than statements. For example, I may ask: “What are you feeling about making a life commitment to God? Have you come to a decision about what you believe about God? Would you like for me to lead us in a prayer that declares your faith in God?”

Such questions encourage introspection and help people understand the value of that life-changing moment.

As a pastor, I certainly appreciate the importance of that moment. But I also recognize the worth of the seemingly mundane moments that may lead to it. My driving passion is building bridges that lead people to Christ — and doing everything I can to help them across.

I believe that is your passion as well. Here are some practical things you can do in your community to influence people toward that critical God decision.Read more

No comments: