Friday, August 07, 2015

The Messy Journey to Jesus


I love the conversations and prayers I have with church members and visitors after the worship service, so I was glad to see Star (not her real name) coming toward me. It would be one of my most unique post-service encounters in all my years of ministry.

Star introduced herself and launched into a passionate plea for prayer. She was hurting, felt abandoned, and while she explained her prayer need, she dropped the “F-Bomb” nine times! And she was not talking in hushed tones. As I listened, three thoughts ran through my mind. First, I am so glad Star is here; there is no better place she could be today. Second, This young woman is really reaching out for truth, help and ultimately Jesus. Third, Star has no idea that her language might be a bit more “colorful” than is normal while giving a prayer request. I prayed for her. She grabbed me, gave me a big hug and said, “I’ll be back again!”

My experience with Star that day and in the ensuing months made clear four important lessons as we encounter nonbelievers and try to help them connect with Jesus. Keep reading

No comments: