Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Who Do You Think You Are? The Audacious Authority of Preaching


In those brief moments before I begin to preach, as the arrows of doubt arrive from every direction, I have a few counterattacks ready. I repeat the words of Spurgeon, echoing the Apostles’ Creed, “I believe in the Holy Spirit,” which is exactly what I need to remember when imagining that the impotence of my words might thwart God’s work.
"The words of Scripture, precisely because they are the words of God, are inherently authoritative. This is why we have the audacity to preach."
I repeat another mantra directly from our Lord Jesus: “Your word is truth” (John 17:17). The words of Scripture, precisely because they are the words of God, are inherently authoritative. Indeed, this is why we have the audacity to preach. Since God has appointed his Word as the means by which we are drawn into the light of his presence, it does everything I can’t. “Your word is truth. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.” Read More

No comments: