Thursday, August 25, 2011

5 ways to commemorate 9/11 at church


It was 5 a.m. on the first anniversary of 9/11, and I was in New York as a victim chaplain to minister to family members at the memorial service.

Standing in the darkness overlooking the gaping hole left by the disaster, I overheard a man nearby mumbling, "I was standing right here that day." After a long pause, he continued, "I haven't even been back until now. I still can't believe it happened." Suddenly I realized that he was talking to me. As I listened to his devastating story of friends who died and his personal terror that day, he sobbed uncontrollably, weeping huge tears. As we prayed, God gave comfort to the man who was trying to put his world back together.

Since the 10th anniversary of 9/11 falls on a Sunday, how can you acknowledge it at your church? Here are a few ideas.... To read more, click here.

No comments: