Monday, August 22, 2011

Megachurch's Organic Farm Gives Fresh Produce to Needy


Coming from a family of four generations of California farmers, ministry leader Gene Archibek said he was “done with farming” as a child.

However, late last year, the 40-year-old member of Saddleback Church in Orange County, Calif., said he was inexplicably drawn to the church’s recently acquired ranch land in San Juan Capistrano.

Archibek became one of several volunteers who helped the church prepare the 175-acre property previously owned by Crystal Cathedral to become a satellite campus and retreat center. It was clear to him that the tasks at hand had nothing to do with farming.

He did whatever was asked of the volunteers who showed up on Saturdays, including pulling weeds, digging holes, planting plants, and cleaning. The property known as Rancho Capistrano includes a Spanish mission-style chapel and conference rooms among rolling hills, old oak trees, and a small lake.

Then, one day, Archibek said he suddenly realized why God had led him to the property.

“I was walking up a hill and I saw an abandoned tractor that was very similar to what my grandfather had when I was a child. And right there, God just put it into my heart what I had to do,” he said. To read more, click here.


1 comment:

Hudson said...

“I was walking up a hill and I saw an abandoned tractor that was very similar to what my grandfather had when I was a child. And right there, God just put it into my heart what I had to do,” he said.

Gnosticism, right? Another thing that bothers me here is that the federal government didn't have any problem handing out taxpayer money to this venture because they perceived its underlying theology was merely humanitarian organic gardening. Just goes to show that the Christian content of Rick Warren-Saddleback ventures does not rise to a level that trips the alarm bells of church/state interference.