Saturday, July 20, 2013

7 Tips for My Younger Preacher Self


One of my fellow elders teaches at a local seminary. He sometimes invites me to speak to his students from a pastor's perspective about sermon preparation, preaching, and church ministry. During a recent lecture, one of the students asked me, "If you could go back and give advice to yourself as a beginning preacher, what would you say?"

I've been preaching now for more than 15 years. I don't know if that's enough time to make me a Jedi Knight preacher who's fit to train newbies. But it does feel long enough to think of what advice I would give to myself if I could go back in time.

Here are seven suggestions for new preachers based on self-reflection, as well as from observing new preachers over the past decade and a half. Read more

No comments: