Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Gavin Ortlund: Thoughts on Biblical Inerrancy


I believe in biblical inerrancy. I never read the Bible wondering which parts are true and which parts are false. Doing so would seem to me inconsistent with accepting the Bible as the Word of God. I bow before every word of Scripture as authoritative over my life and faith, binding for my conscience, and worthy of my trust. What I mean by inerrancy is the idea that the Bible never misfires. Its intended meaning never deviates from reality. It is truth.

I’m also grateful for the legacy of inerrancy. The rise of higher-biblical criticism impugned the integrity of Scripture, and it was appropriate and godly for Christians to systematize their defense of the Bible. The history of biblical inerrancy, as I read it, is a noble struggle against a real enemy.

Nevertheless, there are some aspects of the culture surrounding inerrancy (especially in the contemporary United States) that don’t sit well with me. I’ve been puzzling over them for a while, and thinking about them lately, and so I thought I’d chart out my thoughts, even though they are still somewhat tentative in a few places. Keep reading

No comments: