Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Keys to Leadership: Six Articles


3 Reasons We Shouldn't Reject Leadership Culture

We need good leaders. So we need solid leadership development, books, and other resources.

I think leadership is an important issue that's often overlooked. I know… you think I'm crazy. Leadership resources and speakers abound. But there's a reason the best place to find leadership books is at a Goodwill or some other thrift store. Yep. Read more

When the Leader Can’t Lead: The Real Leadership Test

Two weeks ago, I was involved in a car accident. A car hydroplaned and hit me head on. I was on my way home from church with my three-year-old grandson, Josiah, in the back seat. First, let me say as loudly as I can with written words, that I am still praising God that Josiah only had a minor scrape to his chin and that he is perfectly okay. We have made a lifetime memory of riding in an ambulance together and sharing stories of when, as Josiah says, “Grammy, the car broke.”

Both cars were totaled, and most of my personal injuries are related to the seat belt and air bag that kept me from being critically injured. I have two fractures in my right arm, lots of bruises, and overall just the pain of a fifty-eight-year-old body being hit at what the trooper said was a 75 mph force. I was out of work for a week and then not able to drive for another week. Currently I’m waiting for my fractures to heal, adapting to not being able to use my right arm and hand, regular doctor visits, more X-rays, monitoring pain, and I am sure, physical therapy in the future.

I have been whining lately about all this but also asking God to teach me all I need to learn. I know I have more to go, but here are a few insights on leadership.... Read more

Leadership and 3 Other Types of "Smart"

My daughters and I have been discussing different types of intelligence. It began when Eden and Evie were asking questions about “being smart in school.” I shared that while I wanted them to study hard and do as well as possible, there are other types of intelligence than “school smart.” In fact, “school smart” is not the most important “type of smart.” There are lots of “school smart leaders” who struggle to actually lead or accomplish anything. Read more

Seven Ways to Lead “Unleadable” People in a Church

What is the solution to leading unleadable people? Though I do not have a cookie-cutter approach, nor do I have a quick-fix solution, I can tell you what I’ve learned from other leaders in similar situations. I can tell you about some of the stories where leaders have been moved from frustration to celebration.

Allow me, then, to share with you seven ways to lead unleadable church members. Read more

Is It Arrogant to Tell Other Christians to Imitate Your Example

I am in my last round of seminars for the Ph.D. cohort at Southeastern Seminary this week. One of my colleagues, Matt Rogers, has just released a book, Aspire: Developing and Deploying Disciples in the Church and for the Church. This is a resource that helps people who are ready to take spiritual responsibility for others in the church. It provides a one-year plan that is ideal for one-on-one disciple-making. You can order a copy of Aspire at Seed Publishing Group.

Below are some thoughts from Matt on why it’s not arrogant to call people to imitate you as you imitate Jesus. Read more

10 Habits Great Leaders Should Never Have

What habits are keeping you from getting your work done?

Bad Habits = Bad Leadership

Here Are 10 Habits you Must Break to be More Productive.... Read more

No comments: