Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Yes, the Church Can Still Reach “Kids These Days”


Disrespectful, thoughtless, destructive and selfish!

That’s what kids these days are! Including the youth in our neighborhood.

Our church had a new sign installed just before Christmas. It took three years to design, raise funds and build it. It looks great. But the day it was installed, teenagers from the neighborhood were flipping their skateboards along the base of the sign, threatening to gouge holes in it.

My youth pastor caught them red-handed, and do you know what he did? He told them we love having them here, he asked them not to skateboard on the sign, then he invited them in for church – and they came in.

What he didn’t do was get mad at them. Or call them any of the names in my first sentence.

Our next step? Install extra grind-stoppers – bumpers that are designed to keep skateboarders off of valuable property – so they can’t do it again. Read more

1 comment:

Simon said...

Really enjoyed your website/blog, my wife did as well. I found myself impressed by the sign out front of your church. Interesting story about the kids in the neighborhood skateboarding on the sign and the aftermath. I also like CreativeSheep.com, I personally find it to be an interesting website.

Simon @ Creative Sheep