Monday, June 04, 2012

Do I View Others as Bigger Sinners?


One huge indicator of spiritual health and maturity is when a Christian views his sin as being at least as great, if not greater, than the sins of others. The apostle Paul described his own attitude this way: "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst." (1 Timothy 1:15) Paul ministered to people out of that deep sense of being a bigger sinner than anyone he was trying to reach with the Gospel.

Spiritual pride leads me to think that others are bigger sinners than me. In fact, if that attitude is present in the heart and mind of a believer, it is impossible to grow spiritually. The minute I begin to entertain that arrogant attitude, I start to carry myself with an air of superiority toward others. That "air" is very different than the "breath" of the Holy Spirit inside believers. He will never lead me to think highly of myself....ever.

It is very natural to become proud of my "righteous efforts" for the Lord. It is also natural to compare my works and my life of discipleship to that of others. A mature disciple of Christ does not live according to the natural way of looking at others. A mature disciple is filled with the Holy Spirit....and therefore, he or she has tons of compassion for anyone caught in sin....and anyone who does not know Christ. Simply put, mature disciples don't view others as bigger sinners. Read more

No comments: