Friday, March 01, 2013

The Test of a Worship Leader



For my birthday, my wife and I had lunch with Keith and Kristyn Getty. Along with 170 other people.

Periodically, the Gettys hold luncheons in different locations to discuss leadership in the church, song writing, and how we can best disciple the people of God. I truly appreciate their emphasis that singing in worship is holy behavior and not just to get the congregation “warmed-up” for the sermon.

During the time together, we sang some of the hymns written by the Gettys and Stuart Townend. It was a wonderful thing to be led in worship through the simplicity of folk music written by local church leaders. Then, Keith and Kristyn took questions from the group. The inquiries ranged from “What’s your process to writing a song?” to “How do you test your songs?” There were two observations that Keith made that I believe are worth repeating. Read more

No comments: