Saturday, September 06, 2014

Chuck Lawless: Why We Don't Pray for Awakening


While this article addresses Southern Baptists, I believe that all Christians could benefit from reading it.

Our Southern Baptist Convention president, Ronnie Floyd, has called us to pray for spiritual awakening. This call is the right one for a convention that exhibits marks of decline even as we seek to determine the best steps into the future.

The fact that our president must call us to pray for awakening says something about us, however. We do not readily recognize the need for an awakening, and our track record says we need to pray fervently for a mighty move of God.

As a long-time Southern Baptist who genuinely loves our denomination, here are my thoughts about why we don't passionately cry out for an awakening -- and why we must. I trust you will hear these words as both confession and concern, as I count myself among the guilty. Read more

No comments: