Tuesday, May 26, 2015

10 bad preaching habits which must be stopped


The Bible's full of great preaching. It's also very honest about one sermonic failure: Acts 20:7-12 tells the story of Eutychus, who fell asleep when the Apostle Paul was preaching and fell out of a window.

I sympathise – with Paul, that is. I remember on one warm Sunday evening in my early years as a minister counting six people asleep during the sermon (not all at once). That was a low point and I hope I improved. I also remember being told by my college principal during sermon class to go and read CH Spurgeon's Lectures to my Students and pay particular attention to the woodcuts showing pulpit mannerisms: "You fall somewhere between the wrestler and the dancer," he remarked.

In evangelical churches at least, the sermon's supposed to be the high point of worship. Ministers train for years to be able to do it well. So how come so many of us are really terrible at it, and what are the pitfalls to look out for? Keep reading

Also see
Movies In Church: Use Pop Culture, But Don’t Let It Use You

No comments: