Saturday, July 01, 2017

9 Universal Leadership Lessons I’ve Learned From Writing, Blogging And Podcasting


Every few days it seems a leader messages me about getting started or breaking through as a writer, blogger or podcaster.

I appreciate the question because for years, I wondered about what it took to write books, blog or launch a podcast.

Over the last 7 years, I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to do all three. I’m currently writing my fourth book (this one with Penguin/Waterbrook, have seen this five-year-old blog grow to 350,000 page views a month and my not-quite three year old Leadership Podcast reach 3.8 million downloads.

It’s been both overwhelming in seasons and is still always surprising to me to see what’s happened, but along the way I’ve learned a few things.

First, there was a ton of grace involved. I don’t always understand why some things ‘take off’ and others don’t, and I can assure I never envisioned a growing reach like this. My wildest dreams were passed a long time ago.

Second, I’m not sure every pastor or leader needs a platform. I outline my reasons here. I write, create and podcast out of a deep sense of calling I feel to help leaders.

To that end, some of you may be called to write, called to help others and have a message in you that needs to get out. At times, it can seem intimidating sitting at your dining room table or blogging in your basement wondering if anyone will ever read what you wrote or listen to what you created. I get that.

Here are 9 leadership lessons I learned from writing, blogging and podcasting over the last few years. I hope they both encourage you and provide some tangible direction and some hope.

And whether you ever blog, write and podcast or not, the insights apply far more broadly than that. I think they apply to anyone trying to start anything. Read More

No comments: