Saturday, June 28, 2014

Jesus Never Told Us To Fill Church Buildings


Going to church has never been the point.

Jesus didn’t tell us to “work really hard to gather people into large crowds to fill up your church buildings. Then I’ll know that you love me.” But when you look at how most pastors (including me) spend much of our time and energy, sometimes it feels like we think that.

Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of Facebook posts and blogs longing for the “good old days” when churches were full on Sunday mornings, evenings and during the week. This expression is especially prevalent on sites where Small Church pastors tend to congregate.

I understand that longing. After all, I’ve experienced many a Sunday with depressingly small church attendance. But I have three big problems with the “good old days” mindset. Keep reading

See also
How Churches Became Cruise Ships - Part 1
How Churches Became Cruise Ships- Part 2

No comments: