Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Salvation and the Mission of God: John Hammett Part 1


Dr. John Hammett elaborates on the role of election in salvation and the scope of the atonement.

The Order of Salvation
When considering the order of salvation, I usually begin with Rom. 8:29-30 and add to it from my understanding of depravity (texts such as Eph. 2:1-3) and sanctification (as both initial and progressive; Heb. 10:10, 14). So I see salvation as beginning with God’s foreknowledge, which I see as God’s choice in eternity past to set his love upon a certain group (the “those” of Rom. 8:29-30). His love for them is expressed in his decision to predestine them for conformity to the image of Christ. I regard this as another way to express election for salvation. Thus, I affirm unconditional election to salvation.

I see biblical teaching on election as asymmetrical; that is, I affirm election to salvation, but see condemnation as attributed to human rejection of God. I illustrate this by seeing all of humanity as willfully choosing rebellion, loving darkness and running and hiding from God. In grace, he reaches out and restrains some. He is thus the cause of the salvation of the saved, yet not the cause of the condemnation of the lost.

Romans 8:29-30 gives calling as the next step in the order of salvation and the rest of Scripture does not flesh this step out in detail. I would see, by implication from the larger narrative on Scripture, that it would involve some measure of illumination, such that one is willing to see a need for forgiveness, and would normally involve hearing the gospel message.

The next steps are ones on which I am less dogmatic, but I think regeneration-faith-justification makes more sense than other alternatives. Some place faith and justification prior to regeneration, but I know of no verses that teach explicitly regeneration by faith, while justification by faith is a central New Testament teaching. I see regeneration as necessary to enable those dead in sin and trespasses to exercise faith and thus be justified. Read more

No comments: