Thursday, December 13, 2012

4 Big Obstacles to Starting New Small Groups



Recently I was in a room full of some very experienced, very sharp minds when it comes to starting new groups. Admittedly, they were attempting to use the word groups to characterize both on-campus Sunday school classes and off-campus small groups.

At one point, a panel of four experts talked about their own personal experiences in starting groups. Imagine my consternation as I listened to their stories of starting one new group last year. One. Another expert talked about starting a new group every year for the last several. I’m not making this up.

It was a very frustrating experience. Honestly, it was fascinating and frustrating at the same time. I found myself equally fascinated by some of their conclusions and frustrated by some of those same conclusions.

At one point, the moderator asked everyone to take a few minutes and share with those around you “what you think are the biggest obstacles in the way of starting groups.” Again, it was frustrating and fascinating. Read more

No comments: