Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Thabiti Anyabwile: Reading the Bible Like Jesus: Luke 24


How do you read your Bible? What’s your general approach? Aside from setting aside a specific time, identifying a suitable place, and choosing a practical reading plan, how do you prepare your mind and heart for the joyful task and privilege of absorbing the word of God?

Or, to put the question another way, who is your model for Bible reading? Do you read the Bible the way Jesus read His Bible?

Lord willing, in August of this year I’ll have the honor of speaking at the Bangor Worldwide Missionary Convention in Bangor, Northern Ireland. It’ll be my second visit with these godly and missions-minded saints. I’ll have the honor of giving two evening addresses and leading their daily Bible readings. I’ve selected as the theme for the daily readings: “Reading the Bible Like Jesus.” What I have in mind is a brief survey of passages where Jesus handles the scriptures and reveals for us how we should approach the sacred text. Here’s my assumption: We read our Bibles best when we read it the way our Lord read His.

Consider the famous passage near the end of Luke’s Gospel. Our Lord said:
“‘These are my words that I spoke to you while was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.’ Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, ‘Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem’.” (Luke 24:44-47).
How does Jesus read the Scriptures? Keep reading

No comments: