Monday, March 10, 2014

Eric Reed: Comforting a Grieving Family


Over a year ago I received a crushing text message from one of our elders. It read, “Sadie went to be with the Lord.” Sadie was his sixteen month old daughter. She had been perfectly healthy, but after a seizure following Halloween, she was diagnosed with leukemia. I received the text informing me of her death four days before Christmas. Just like that she was gone. Sadie had a rare form of leukemia that aggressively attacked her body, and devastated her family. I gathered my family together and shared the news. We cried together, and prayed for the Davis family. Afterwards, I went to the family.

As a lead pastor for the last eight years, I have counseled and comforted grieving individuals in all circumstances, but this was by far the most difficult. As I consider the situations and circumstances we pastors are commonly in, I began thinking about a tool or strategy that could be helpful for comforting grieving families and individuals. I put it in the form of an acronym, B.L.E.S.S. Keep reading

No comments: