Thursday, October 17, 2019

Do We Really Need to Keep Singing Hymns


When I say “Hymn”, what comes to mind?
  • Dusty cloth covers concealing musty yellow pages?
  • Archaic words coupled with monotonous music?
  • A cherished part of your past?
  • An obligation in your present?
  • A remnant of the lifeless religion of your parents?
  • Nothing at all?
Growing up I attended an Assemblies of God church and didn't know hymns existed. Later we attended a little country church where I heard my first hymn. Confusion soon followed. In High School I helped at a Lutheran church and hymns began to intrigue me.

Now I'm a worship pastor and I have to decide for myself how I feel about hymns. Do we really need to keep singing them? I think so. And my first reason may surprise you. Read More

No comments: