Tuesday, February 01, 2022

John Wesley’s 22 Questions


While doing a Google search on “John Wesley discipleship,” I came across the 22 questions that the members of the Holy Club asked themselves in their daily personal devotions.

The methodical way that the members of the Holy Club practiced godliness and pursued holiness earned them the derisive epithet, “Methodists.” We ourselves might benefit from being more methodical in our own spiritual development.

For those who may be interested, I have listed the 22 questions below:

Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?

Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?

Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?

Can I be trusted?

Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?

Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?

Did the Bible live in me today?

Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?

Am I enjoying prayer?

When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?

Do I pray about the money I spend?

Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?

Do I disobey God in anything?

Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?

Am I defeated in any part of my life?

Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?

How do I spend my spare time?

Am I proud?

Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?

Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?

Do I grumble or complain constantly?

Is Christ real to me?

You may want to ask yourself these questions everyday for 30 days and then ask yourselves at the end of the 30-day period whether this self-inventory was helpful to yourself. If you found it helpful, you may want to continue to use it.

No comments: