Monday, March 28, 2022

Leading with Clarity


A few years ago, when preparing to launch a non-permanent church campus I asked an intern to wipe down the school’s water fountains. She smiled and nodded but sighed as she walked away. A little later in the day as we were unloading supplies I asked, “Did I upset you earlier?” She explained how sometimes she felt insulted because I dumbed things down, shared too many details, and tended to repeat myself. I asked for an example, and she laughed and said, “you told me, in detail, how to wipe down the water fountains, explained what happened the last time you asked someone to wipe down the water fountains and they did it wrong, and you’ve reminded me about six times today to wipe down the water fountains. I got the message loud and clear, you want the water fountains to be clean.” I cringed and quickly apologized. I thought I was bringing clarity when I was only creating frustration.

Over the years, I’ve learned clarity comes when you care enough about those you are communicating with to make a conscious effort to be cautious, clever, and brief. Let’s take a closer look at what that means. Read More

No comments: