Thursday, August 27, 2026

Thursday's Catch: '6 Signs of a Toxic Church Culture (And How to Start Fixing It)' And More


6 Signs of a Toxic Church Culture (And How to Start Fixing It)
Every church has a culture. The only question is whether anyone is paying attention to what kind.

ACNA Responds to Shared S.C. Chapel Blessing
The joint blessing of a chapel at a historic school by an Episcopal bishop and an Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) bishop has stirred up deep controversy in the ACNA, with an August 26 statement from its acting primate sharply criticizing the service and promising that the church’s College of Bishops would rule on the situation next month.
Also See: A Statement from the the Dean, ACNA, on Episcopal/ACNA fellowship
DHS claims it did not violate court order by spying on Baptist church
The government now argues that DHS’s infiltration of a class inside University Baptist Church did not violate the court’s preliminary injunction because the spying occurred in gymnasium instead of the sanctuary.”

Afraid of God? Ryan Lokkesmoe on How Paganism has Invaded the Church (And a Way Out) (Ep 135)
“We were not created to be afraid of God. He does not want you to feel afraid of him, he wants you to feel freedom in that relationship.”

In What Age Do We Find Ourselves?
When Dr. Addleman wrote asking me if I might speak at a pre-­conference event for the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities gathering, he suggested the title: “What Age are We Living In?” I’m a historical and cultural sociologist, and in my writing and teaching, I like working with a big canvas. His suggestion offered me a very big canvas. How could I say no?

What age are we living in? It’s a good question. The Italian literary critic, Roberto Calasso, recently called this moment, “the unnamable present.” Yet I think we know more than he allows. It’s possible that we don’t have the right label for it yet, but I rather think that there are things we can confidently say about it.

So, this morning, I want to talk about the age we live in and, depending on the time, what it might mean for Christian higher education.

Preaching Through Controversial Topics + What White and Black Preachers Can Learn From Each Other
Charlie Dates started preaching at eight, lining up chairs in his living room. Now he’s one of Chicago’s most respected pastors.

He joins me to talk about whose approval you’re really preaching for, why a major donor once walked out mad, how to wake up a dead congregation, and what white and Black preachers desperately need to learn from each other.

Learning to Read and Write Again
The writer of Ecclesiastes couldn’t have begun to grasp the sheer volume of books, not to mention blogs, articles, and podcasts that saturate our world today. “Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body” (Eccles 12:12). I confess to feeling overwhelmed and weary. There has never been so much information to take on board. The internet floods us with content. So much information. How do I know what matters most? How much do I need to understand as a Christian leader? I can’t read everything, so should I read anything?

Some Things Are Worth Holding Onto 
I use digital books, and I am thankful for them. They are extraordinarily useful tools. However, I refuse to give up physical books.

In fact, the older I get, the more convinced I become that there are some efficiencies that are not improvements.

Why You Need to Think Like a Fish
You can’t be a good fisherman unless you learn to think like a fish. You need to learn their habits, preferences, and feeding patterns if you want to catch them. Certain fish like smooth, still waters. Others like the rushing rivers. Certain fish are bottom-feeders. Others like to hide among the rocks. If you don’t understand the patterns of the fish you’re trying to catch, you’re wasting your time. The same is true when you’re trying to reach people with the Gospel.

No comments: