Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Let the preacher not draw too much attention to himself


“…that in all things He might have preeminence in everything” (Colossians 1:18).

Let not the messenger boy think this is all about him.

I had a suspicion confirmed the other evening.

Over the years, I have made a point of memorizing scripture. At this moment, I can quote Psalms 1, 23, and 103, as well as Romans 8, and a number of shorter passages. There is nothing boastful about that. I should have retained more of what I worked to memorize through the years (which included Psalm 139, half of Hebrews and most of I Peter), but because I did not work at keeping it, have lost it from memory.

Okay. But here’s the thing.

In a worship service when I rise to preach one of these passages, I decided long ago not to appear to do what I’m doing, quoting it. So, unless it’s a short passage, I make a point of opening the Word and appear to be reading the passage along with everyone else.

Why?

The moment people become aware that “the preacher is reciting all this from memory,” it becomes a show. They quit listening to the Word and start being impressed by the preacher. And doing that seems to be a serious error. Keep reading

No comments: