Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Do the Ten Commandments Have Authority Over New Testament Christians?


One of the first and most recurring things my kids have learned–at Sunday school, in Christian school, and around the dinner table–has been the Ten Commandments. In fact, my middle three children love to sing (incessantly!) the Ten Commandments song they learned for last year’s choir concert. As a Presbyterian pastor–but more so, as a Christian–I consider it one of my most obvious responsibilities that I teach my kids the joyful responsibility of knowing and obeying the Ten Commandments.

Could it be that I, along with countless other Christian parents and pastors, am making a mistake?

In his new book Irresistible: Reclaiming the New that Jesus Unleashed for the World, Andy Stanley insists that “The Ten Commandments have no authority over you. None. To be clear: Thou shalt not obey the Ten Commandments” (136). Mike Kruger argues forcefully (and charitably) against this bold thesis. It will surprise no one to learn–especially given my new book–that when it comes to the role of the Ten Commandments specifically, and the Old Testament more broadly, I agree wholeheartedly with Kruger and disagree strongly with Stanley. Read More

See Also:
Why We Can’t Unhitch from the Old Testament
Five Reasons to Obey the Ten Commandments
Marcion and Getting Unhitched from the Old Testament

No comments: