Monday, February 11, 2019

A Group Your Church Might Unintentionally Exclude—and 6 Ways to Engage


“Wow,” I said.

My one-word-is-enough description was my response to what I noticed as I parked the car.

I stared at vehicles covering the parking lots, people of all ages and nationalities walking in the cool December air, pictures being taken in an ice falling studio, and children ice skating outside. We were there with the crowd to attend a Christmas presentation at a popular church.

As my family and I enjoyed hot chocolate and fake snow on our faces, the crowd from the previous service began exiting. Some friends walked in our direction. They told us how much we would love the experience they’d just had. My friend then looked at me said, “You have your sunglasses? You’ll need them.”

I knew what he meant. He knows I’m part of a population often forgotten among the creative, artistic designers for today’s church services and events.

The Christmas event was great. The church succeeded in helping many people in the community feel welcome, be attentive, and hear the gospel story.

But I left wondering: Do today’s congregations, which are so advanced in technology, know about the 1 in 26 people who will battle epilepsy at some time in their lives? Do they know about photosensitive epilepsy? If so, could they add a warning that some theaters and concerts include, notifying audiences of the potential of their lights triggering seizures? Read More

No comments: