Monday, March 25, 2019

The King and His Kingdom - My Favorite Narnia Quotes


I recently re-read all seven books of The Chronicles of Narnia. I could write a whole post both criticizing them and explaining why they’re still incredible classics – some of the allegorical points could lead to some fuzzy theology, but overall reading about Aslan and his country fills me with longing for Christ and His coming kingdom in a way that no theological treatise could.

Instead of expanding on that thought, however, I decided to share all of my favorite quotes. Some are beautiful descriptions, some inspirational truths, and some simply humorous. I’m afraid a majority of them will only make sense if you already know the context, but I’m sure those of you who haven’t read The Chronicles of Narnia can find some gems here, too.

Since there are several ideas about what order the series should be read in, I decided to try reading in publication order this time around. Just in case you’re wondering why the quotes are in that order. (Also, every other one is in bold print so you can tell where one quote ends and another begins – since a few of them take up several lines.) Read More
I first read The Narnia Chronicles around the time they were first published. I have read and reread and reread them since then. This past Christmas a friend gave me a copy of Joe Rigney's Live Like a Narnian: Christian Discipleship in Lewis' Chronicles, which has increased my appreciation of the books. For those who have not read them, they are available online at Project Gutenberg Canada. Click on the link and then scroll down the page to "Lewis, C. S. [Clive Staples] (1898-1963) [Irish critic, novelist, poet, and theologian]". Be sure to begin with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. This is the book which was first published and is really the beginning of the narrative. If you start with The Magician's Nephew, the story does not unfold the way that it should. Trust me. I have read these books over and over again for the better part of my life.

No comments: