Friday, August 13, 2021

How Learning about Genre Helps You Study the Bible


I have always had a love of literature ever since my older sister gave me The Count of Monte Cristo in the sixth grade to use for a book report. Being a latchkey kid, I spent summers in the library devouring books of all kinds from classical literature to young-adult fiction to poetry, plays, fairy tales, and craft and recipe books.

The more I read, the more I knew how important learning about genre was. I can’t read a book of poetry the same way I read a play. I can’t read a fairy tale the same way I read a short story. As an English literature major in college, I continued to learn the importance genre plays in reading and interpreting a literary work.

Learning about six main genres in the Bible are key to reading and interpreting Scripture properly. Without understanding this fact, it would be completely easy to misinterpret Scripture. Read More

No comments: