Tuesday, May 08, 2012

If It Ain’t Broke, Brake It?



A while back I watched a webcast of a pastor announcing a new small group model at his church. Their current model had connected roughly half of their members into groups, but it wasn’t attracting the other half. He felt the solution was to scrap their current model and move to a new model. I actually screamed at my computer, “No! Why are you wrecking what works for half of your people? It’s working for them.”

The pastor went on to explain that now about 60 percent of the 50 percent already in groups were embracing the new model. I chose to withhold my applause. Why? Because he already had those folks in groups! If only two-thirds of the people already in groups were signing on to the new thing, isn’t that actually going backwards? Read more

No comments: