Thursday, June 30, 2022

How Churches Can Walk With the Sexual Abuse Survivor


As we walk alongside the sexual abuse survivor, the greatest truth we can patiently and faithfully impart is a robust theology of justice and hope that are only in our Heavenly Father.

By Jacki King

Have you ever been “sad-mad”? I know it isn’t a technical term, but it’s one I’ve used often with our three boys. Several years ago, we had to say goodbye to our beloved family dog, Saige. As we broke the news of the day’s event, my oldest (8 at the time) burst into giant tears. And our middle son (6) screamed in anger, “This isn’t right!”

I’ve thought of that moment often over these last few years in leadership and ministry. Grief, loss, injustice, and pain seem to hit us all differently. And lately, it seems like the brokenness of this planet is leaving us in a perpetual state of being “sad-mad.”

As I, like many of you, have read reports of grievous sins of sexual abuse and personally walked with women who have similar stories of trauma, this “sad-mad” feeling has left me with questions. When and how do I respond? What do I say? And most importantly, what do I do in these moments? I’m still learning what this looks like in my own life. But I’ve found, in many ways, the journey of lament is the path we need to take forward with a sexual abuse survivor. Read More

No comments: