Wednesday, July 09, 2014

5 Principles to Consider Before Starting or Stopping a Ministry


Wouldn’t it be great if every local church and every ministry within each church was vital, valuable and meeting real needs?

Certainly a 100% success record is not possible. It’s not even desirable, since we learn as much through our failures as our successes. But increasing our batting average on successful ministries is always a good idea.

Bigger churches usually have systems in place to help them gauge the value of their ministries. But Small Churches tend to do a lot more hit-and-miss, with new ministries starting on a whim or out of guilt, while ongoing ministries can sometimes hang on far beyond their reasonable expiration date.

In my more than 30 years of Small Church ministry, I’ve been blessed to see some great ministries launch and succeed. But in my early years I probably had more than my share of ministries that didn’t work. Or they stopped working but kept going anyways.

Through those experiences, I’ve discovered 5 principles that I now use whenever I consider starting a new ministry or ending a current one. (Despite my dislike of alliteration, these 5 all happen to start with the letter P.) Keep reading

No comments: