Tuesday, June 29, 2021

ACNA Grapples with Sexual Abuse


Investigative journalist Julie Roys has shared a statement announcing the departure of Father Eirik Olsen from the board of directors of The Roys Report (TRR). Olsen, who is part of the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA), is helping to manage a sexual abuse case in his diocese, and one of the victims has accused Olsen of being complicit in protecting the perpetrator.

“The victims recently reached out to me,” said Roys in a June 15 email announcing that Olsen was stepping down from The Roys Report board, “and I am so grieved over this situation. This was our family’s diocese. And because of my proximity to the church, this is not something I would consider covering. It would definitely be considered a conflict of interest.”

She continued, “But I have expressed my concerns to the leadership involved and have connected the victims with advocates I’m confident can help them. Eirik and I have also discussed the issue at length. And we both decided that it would be best for him to step down from the board for the time being.” Read More
If the ACNA mishandles its investigation of these sexual abuse allegations, it will have serious repercussions for the denomination. 

No comments: