Thursday, January 13, 2022

Daily Prayer: The App We Need Right Now


Growing up among conservative evangelicals in the U.S., I was accustomed to seeing Christianity as an ideology under siege that needed sophisticated apologetics. Frankly, my priest calling Canterbury a place of unbroken prayer sounded to me like a dodge, another instance of the Episcopal Church being a bit wishy-washy.

In the years since, however, I’ve seen how seldom I think my way to God and how often epiphanies come unexpectedly and intuitively. The real work is tilling the soil for God to sow in, not setting the course to the perfect Christian life. I’m more a farmer than a skipper.

Thus, I’ve been delighted with the Church of England’s new Daily Prayer app. It lays out a script for morning, evening, and night prayer from the daily office with an accompanying audio for morning and evening prayer. The Daily Prayer app makes accessible two of the great heritages of the Anglican tradition: the prayer book and choral music. What follows is less a detailed review of pros and cons and more a spiritual farmer raving about a new technology. Read More

No comments: