Monday, May 23, 2022

Add 988 To Your Contacts – the New 911 for Suicide Prevention


By Jeremiah J. Johnston

When my wife and I moved to Oxford, England, for my doctoral studies, we realized we had no idea how to call emergency personnel if there was a problem with our infant baby girl, Lily. As a new dad, not knowing who or how to call for help in a moment of crisis in a foreign country startled me. I called a local hotel, and the concierge kindly shared with me the 911 of England is “Triple 9 – 999.” Phew! Though I never had to dial the number, it gave us peace in knowing what to do in a time of crisis.

Here’s the key question: If you have a mental health crisis or someone you know is struggling with mental pain, do you know who or how to call for immediate help and intervention? Did you know May is Mental Health Awareness month? Every Christian must be aware of a significant and helpful tool soon to be available – dialing 988. It is my experience many Christians are not prepared for immediate steps in a moment of mental pain and mental crisis. Here’s a vital intervention step that could save the life of someone you love.... Read More

No comments: