Monday, April 26, 2021

The Necessity of Pastoral Visiting


Barring the extenuating circumstances of the pandemic, if you are not visiting folks in your congregation, then you are probably not their pastor.

This was a difficult truth for me to learn. I grew up attending a large congregation that had many leaders on staff, most of them talented preachers, administrators, evangelists, and worship leaders. Few of them, however, were pastors.

I am finishing up my curacy in the next few months, and as I reflect on some of the lessons I’ve learned, this is one of the significant ones: I cannot be a pastor unless I know the people whose souls are in my cure, and I cannot know their souls until I’ve spent time with them, and I can’t spend time with them unless I make a point to meet them in their homes, in their workplaces, in cafes, or in the park. Read More

No comments: