Friday, October 01, 2021

How Older People Can Overcome Stereotypes and Flourish in Transition


Tips from a wellness expert on staying well amid COVID-19 and beyond.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds.” Romans 12:2

My first real job out of college was as Assistant Director for a Title VII Nutrition Program for the elderly. The grant was written and administered by an energetic woman in her 60’s who provided the calm and steady balance to my exuberant and impulsive youth. I joyfully provided the in-person oversight to three Senior Communities around Washtenaw County. I spent time with the seniors and grew professionally as I basked in their indulgent love and appreciation for my hard work on their behalf.

In turn, I admired them for their strength and loved their stories filled with wisdom that gave me lessons in life—whose value I did not fully realize until years later. Now, to paraphrase a popular book, All I Need to Know About Aging I Learned While in My 20’s. I can honestly say that what I learned about aging and flourishing I first learned from the Senior Citizens who shaped me when I thought I was doing the “directing.”

Today, I am a “senior citizen,” but don’t call me that to my face.. However, I can draw from past experience as I reflect on what it means to flourish in this season of life, and one lesson that stands out to me comes from scripture: “Be transformed, not conformed.” Read More

No comments: